Engineering Manager - Mapping
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team
We’re looking for engineering management professionals to lead a team focused on the quality and automation of maps for autonomous driving vehicles and support systems. As an engineering manager, you will be responsible for building a thriving team dedicated to creating tools and pipelines for map generation, validation, and delivery. You will work closely with stakeholders to create and manage the product backlog and ensure successful delivery of the team objectives. As a team leader, you will be responsible for managing and communicating team budgets, hiring goals, and working with individuals to set goals and track performance.
What You'll Do
- Responsible for team management, including resource allocation, workload prioritization, backlog maintenance, cross-functional team collaboration, talent selection, team onboarding, career development, and performance management.
- Facilitate backlog adjustments to address product changes and to ensure the system operates in accordance with specifications.
- Collaborate with the Technical Product Manager to identify and prioritize feature improvements, based on product milestones and end-user feedback.
- Guide the team through feature decomposition and the work estimation process.
- Oversee team’s progress toward completion, communicating regularly to all levels within the team, department, and organization.
- Enforce software development best practices for the team, improving quality, efficiency, and accuracy of the team’s work.
What you'll need to succeed:
- BS/MS Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in Industry or Graduate School
- Experience leading engineering teams in the delivery of large-scale applications that support a distributed, cross-functional development organization.
- Strong facilitation, technical team coaching, systems thinking, and servant leadership skills.
- Proficiency in cloud services and architectures (AWS, Azure)
- Proficiency using version control systems (Git)
- Test automation principles and design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
- Experience working with high-level languages (C++, Python, Golang)
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure at scale (AWS, Terraform)
- Proficiency in Linux platforms (Ubuntu, Centos)
- Experience in robotic systems
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.