Mapping & Localization - Co-Op Software Engineer Localization
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the team:
The Localization team is responsible for fusing a variety of run-time input sources to refine position estimates and make static world elements usable by the Autonomous Driving Stack.
What you’ll do:
We are seeking an Localization Software Engineer - Co-Op to help develop software that enables L4+ (driver out) autonomous driving.
As part of the localization team, you will be able to
- Execute full software development lifecycle activities using C++, including prototyping and deploying robust and reliable solutions.
- Analyze and develop the current information fusion, motion estimation, and static world modeling algorithms, ensuring our self-driving vehicles have the most accurate position estimates and static world representation around the vehicle to drive safely and smoothly on the road.
- Test developed algorithms in both simulation and live on our trucks.
- Research the state-of-the-art information fusion algorithms
- Apply and refine your algorithm design and programming skills.
- Integration of software standards and safety requirements into the software
- Collaborate with a creative team of engineers and researchers to solve multi-disciplinary problems.
- Improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations.
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Bachelors of Science with relevant education experience in computer engineering, computer science, robotics, automotive systems, or related technical field
- 2+ years of experience (including academic) writing code using modern C++ on Linux
- Proficient understanding of 3D geometry and transforms, probability, statistics, probabilistic modeling, and linear algebra
- Ability to implement algorithms efficiently and in a well-organized software architecture
- Excellent communication skills in technical approaches, fluency in English would be desired
- Proactive team spirit and open communication
- Previous industry experience OR MS in relevant topic
- Proficient with ROS (Robot Operating System)
- Experience with Python, machine learning, and working with large data sources
- Experience working with HD maps
- Start Date: Fall 2023
- Time Frame: August or September to December 15th, 2023
- Potential to extend through May 2024.
- Location(s): Remote, Hybrid; Austin, Texas; Blacksburg, VA; Albuquerque, NM
- Pay Transparency: The rate visible on the posting is for a masters degree. Compensation subject to change based on degree.
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.