Safety Investigations Engineer
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
The Safety Investigations Engineer ensures the safety of Torc’s products by leading the investigation of safety related events and incidents. As part of Torc’s Safety Management System (SMS) Program, this position will
manage investigations starting with the proactive identification of potential safety issues using predictive indicators and oversight of practices and reporting. Investigations will include analysis, root cause, resolution,
monitoring, and documentation of lessons learned. The Safety Investigations Engineer will work collaboratively with the global Torc teams including Engineering, Fleet Operations, Product, Legal, and others to leverage their
expertise during an investigation.
What you'll do:
- Lead and coordinate the investigation of potential safety concerns with key stakeholders, including but not limited to Torc Engineering and Fleet Operations.
- Actively monitor the teams’ investigations as they identify trends, possible safety-related defects, and/or non-compliances
- Conduct thorough, data-driven, but timely, investigations to determine the scope, cause, and consequence of the issue, the root cause, and all potential corrective actions
- Actively track and manage identified issues from the onset of an investigation through its conclusion
- Conduct field inspections of post-event vehicles or in-service vehicles as necessary
- Provide recommendations to leadership and governance bodies on possible actions for the identified issues
- Provide timely notification to management of potential safety concerns based on the severity
- Monitor field fix performance for effectiveness and recommend additional actions as necessary.
- Collaborate with the Safety Data and Analysis Director to identify and develop novel analytical methods and tools to facilitate the identification of concerns, support safety investigations and apply available analytics data to ongoing safety investigations and safety risk management
- Support the production data collection parameters and the review process required for safety performance monitoring and regulatory compliance
- Communicate with NHTSA and other Federal and State agencies about open investigations, and emerging issues
- Manage the regulatory reporting of safety defects and coordinate with our business partners
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Systems, or Computer Engineering, or equivalent; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Relevant professional certifications or additional degrees in technical disciplines or business
- 5+ years of vehicle safety investigations experience or proven capability
- 1+ years of experience of project management experience or proven capability
- Strong understanding of vehicle design and operation, including powertrain controls, electrical architecture, and vehicle dynamics
- Demonstrated knowledge in the following disciplines: human factors, artificial intelligence/machine learning, software engineering, hardware engineering
- Demonstrated experience with root cause analysis methodologies such as Six Sigma, Shainin, and 3L5Y
- Demonstrated experience with safety and hazard analysis techniques, such as HARA, FMEA, FTA, and/or STPA
- Familiarity with federal and state safety regulations
- Excel in problem-solving and analytical thinking to solve complex and abstract business issues
- Demonstrated business acumen ability and communication skills to present complex technical results or solutions to a wide variety of stakeholders (often non-technical audiences) to gain their understanding and support
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to build trust and strong working relationships
- Competent in creating and reviewing documents, work products, and reports
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.