Safety & Regulatory Assurance Director
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
The Safety & Regulatory Assurance Director is an experienced safety leader responsible for assuring the safety and compliance of Torc’s product development and launch readiness. Oversees Torc’s safety standards strategy and policies and provides the appropriate assessments to ensure conformance. Guides the management of Torc’s Safety Case including establishing the structure, ownership, and review processes. Monitors state-of-art safety assurance best practices and standards. Manages the regulatory certification of Torc products through the dissemination of requirements, interpretation of safety regulations, standards, and review of compliance plans and reports. Works collaboratively with business partners (e.g., Product & Strategy, Engineering, Legal, Fleet Ops, and People Ops) to provide subject matter expertise and ensure understanding and compliance/conformance with safety and regulatory requirements. Executes Torc’s safety and regulatory strategic plan. Develops a highly effective and experienced Safety & Regulatory Assurance team to successfully deliver objectives
What you'll do:
- Oversees the local, state, and federal regulatory compliance of Torc’s product development and launch readiness through the execution of Torc’s Regulatory Strategic Plan.
- Set the safety certification processes (e.g., review and tracking of the compliance plans and reports) to identify technical and timing risks and communicate these risks to leadership.
- Chair the Legal and Regulatory Safety (LARS) committee and lead the safety processes for providing the Product team with the regulatory requirements input and potential interpretations
- Establish a strategy related to safety standards and processes for assessing or auditing conformance to key industry standards such as Functional Safety (ISO 26262), Safety Of The Intended Functionality (ISO/PAS 21448), and Road Vehicles – Cybersecurity Engineering (ISO 21434)
- Sets the strategic plan for the Torc Safety Case including alignment with business partners and manages the delivery of the plan
- Leads research and rulemaking engagements with state and federal regulators, including state DOTs, NHTSA, and FMCSA
- Collaborate with DTNA and other partners on compliance roles and responsibilities
- Forecasts and communicates present and future risks and opportunities as regulations and standards evolve
- Work with internal business partners such as the Systems Integrity team to establish alignment on safety messaging for external advocacy.
- Monitors and where appropriate, active engagement in the development of safety standards and industry best practices by participation in industry technical working groups and committees, including SAE, ISO, UL, and the AVSC
- Communicates safety standards development activity to internal business partners
- Build out the strategic vision and purpose for the safety assurance and regulatory team
- In partnership with People Operations, supervisory responsibilities include leading team goal setting, career path planning and professional development, tracking team competencies, employee team building and training, performance management, work prioritization, and resource management
- Accomplish department objectives by supervising employees, overseeing work direction and progress, and working collaboratively with the larger Safety & Regulatory organization and company
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field required with a strong preference for a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Engineering/related field or MBA
- Relevant professional training and certifications such as Functional Safety Certification, ASPICE Assessor, and Lean Six Sigma
- 10+ years’ experience in automotive safety and regulatory (related industries will be considered)
- Solid understanding of federal and state safety regulations, standards, and related requirements
- Familiarity with vehicle design and operation, including powertrain controls, electrical architecture, and vehicle dynamics
- Position requires occasional travel to Torc locations, government locations, etc. Travel is anticipated to be 25% or less
- Strong preference for at least 5 years of regulatory certification and safety standards conformance
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.