Senior Software Engineer Motion Control
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
The Motion Control team builds software solutions to improve the driving performance of our autonomous vehicles. The areas you may be involved in are enhancing safe and robust motion control and capability estimation algorithms, develop high-level decision structures to manage the goals and regulations of autonomous driving, identify benchmark and test performance of algorithms on Torc's automated vehicles, and add new features to meet our operational goals.
What you'll do:
In this role, you will be responsible for various software development and engineering activities supporting the delivery of autonomy algorithm software to the overall system solution. Perform software development activities to include, but not limited to, software architecture, design, coding, unit testing, integration, truck testing, deployment and maintenance.
You will work closely with other engineering teams to create innovative solutions for our Level 4 autonomous system.
- Design and develop algorithms using C++ on ROS / DDS based middleware
- Implementation and validation of our algorithms on an embedded, real-time target
- Evaluate test results based on automated metrics and engineering judgement
- Design, develop and validate base truck performance estimation functionality
- Ensure robustness and integrity of the implemented algorithms
- Collaborate with behaviors, perception and localization teams to solve multidimensional problems
- Coordinate truck tests with fleet
- Ensure software updates do not regress the software performance by utilizing standard processes, code quality guidelines and code checks, dedicated simulation environments, and unit testing.
Characteristics You’ll Need
- Excellent technical judgment and intuition
- An organized and proactive approach
- Ability to turn ambiguity into technical direction
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to explain complex technical issues and justify solutions with data
- Good soft skills and the ability to positively influence others
Education & Skills You’ll Need
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Aero/Math/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or a related and 5+ years of experience or a Bachelor’s Degree with 10+ years of applicable experience
- Proficient knowledge of vehicle kinematics and dynamics
- Proficient knowledge of controls systems and controls theory
- Proficient knowledge of C++ and ROS (3+ years)
- Experience with safety critical systems according to ISO-26262
- Basic knowledge of Kalman filters, sensor fusion and dynamic state estimation
- Basic knowledge in embedded environments
- Hands on skills in Python
Education & Skills Nice To Have
- Experience with multiple low level communication protocols (ethernet, CAN, CAN-FD, etc)
- Experience with Automotive Development
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.