Sr. Test Safety Engineer
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
In this role you will collaborate with Product Development & Fleet Operations teams to monitor, assess, and improve the safe testing of Autonomous Heavy Trucks
- Support the development and maintenance operational procedures related to testing autonomous vehicles safely.
- Provide data analyses to maintain a safety case for Autonomous Vehicle platforms, including real-time safety support of operational testing.
- Evaluate safety results of tests and develop risk mitigation plans.
- Support Torc accident and incident response process, mishap investigation, and corrective action plans.
- Review engineering design specifications, test operations procedures, change proposals, deficiency reports, exceptions, and other requests for potential test safety impacts.
- Coordinate and collaborate across stakeholders to ensure test safety is integral to all autonomous development testing and operations.
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field of study and 6+ years of professional experience in automotive or surface transportation safety industry OR a Master's Degree in Engineering or related field of study and 3+ years of professional experience.
- Experience with Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA)
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, able to identify root causes in complex integrated systems.
- Strong communication skills in both written documentation and verbal presentation
- Experience in project management, vehicle program management, product development life cycle, and project planning.
- Experience coordinating with multiple groups to develop risk mitigation plans.
- Review system technical specifications/requirements, system design documents, unit and system level software development, test plans, test reports
- Willingness to travel to other sites as needed.
- Experience performing systematic and comprehensive assessments on the system architecture, integrated design, software, support equipment, and installation of the subsystems, and experiments to ensure that relevant safety requirements are met.
- Experience with robotics, or systems integration of complex electro-mechanical systems desired
- Experience using ROS is preferred.
- Programming experience in C++ and Python is desired.
- Demonstrated safety engineering analyses.
- Vehicle program support and root cause analysis for vehicle issues
- Experience ensuring and auditing compliance.
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.