About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
What you’ll do:
As a Safety Conductor at Torc, you will have the opportunity to support the safe execution of tests in our autonomous vehicles. While riding in vehicles for testing you will be responsible for continuously monitoring external weather and traffic environments, road and infrastructure conditions, vehicle operations, safety driver operations, and software data to ensure a safe transportation experience. If you would like to make a positive impact on the development of autonomous vehicles this may be the role for you!
- Performs a pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspection, software deployment and offloading, and safety checks (including driver physical and mental performance) to verify tasks are completed and performs a safety brief.
- Check for any vehicle groundings or statuses prior to test and monitor updates during the test.
- Pause or stop of vehicle operations or tests at any point to reduce risks and immediately inform the operations manager.
- In the event of an incident, perform analyses to determine the response and execution of responsibilities for safe mitigation.
- Review daily logistics reports and conditions (road, traffic, weather, etc.) to understand test opportunities
- Share detailed analysis, concise feedback and documentation regarding test runs with engineers and managers.
- Immediately report any repairs, maintenance, or safety concerns before operation of vehicle.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Experience in Computer Science or strong computer literacy
- Knowledge of transportation, engineering, or safety
- Ability to monitor software on a laptop; read, analyze, and type in a moving vehicle for extended periods of time
- Must possess analytical abilities and problem-solving skills
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgement working independently and without distractions throughout the shift.
- Ability to maintain continuous focus, stay alert, and maintain composure with dynamic and fast appropriate reaction in a highly stressful and dynamic environment.
- Ability to climb into and out of cars and trucks and to sit four to ten hours inside the vehicle on a daily basis.
- Valid US driver’s license with a safe driving record required.
- 6+ years of experience driving on US roads
- Comply with Torc’s policy regarding the use of alcohol and drugs if operating a vehicle, which includes pre-employment, post-incident, and randomized drug testing
- Familiarity with scripting in a Linux system.
- Knowledge of transportation and/or logistics
- Strong organizational skills
- Passion for autonomous vehicles, vehicle maintenance, long distance driving.
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.