Lead Applied Data Scientist (Experience with Media Mix Modeling)
What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Are you interested in using data science to solve new and challenging problems in innovative ways — like helping a media conglomerate measure the impact of their marketing and advertising campaigns to optimize investments across a wide range of media channels? Civis Analytics is looking for a Lead Applied Data Scientist to join our commercial Applied Data Science (ADS) practice and help us solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing Media businesses today.
The Applied Data Science team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. Our Media sector practice provides data science solutions for media conglomerates, nonprofits, and advocacy groups seeking to leverage media-mix-modeling to reach their target audiences in the most effective way.
- A Lead ADS runs the end-to-end execution of client engagements utilizing data science, which includes:
- Handling client relationships and communication on day-to-day projects and initiatives, with stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Design the scope and analytics roadmap for clients. Manage a team through the process of solving some of our clients’ hardest problems; defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Managing the unification of large 1st- and 3rd-party datasets, and building predictive models
- Translating findings into clear, actionable, and timely insights with the appropriate business context
- As part of the Media sector practice:
- Work closely with Applied Data Science teams to develop performance measurement reporting and media mix modeling to demonstrate the impact of cross channel activities through media
- Influence and collaborate on channel-level media strategies based on marketing, audience, and consumer insights.
- Collaborates with stakeholders and leadership to ensure that the most effective channel mix is implemented to achieve our customer’s strategic business priorities
- Other job responsibilities include:
- Manage and lead a team of applied data scientists, as well as cross-functional client delivery teams, that provides analytics and survey research consulting to achieve our clients’ business goals through the usage of Civis’ services and technology.
- Creatively identifying opportunities in the solution delivery process for scalable applications, and collaborating with other teams to further construct these tools
- Assisting with new business development by scoping projects, writing proposals, and building case studies and other collateral
- Maintaining a continuous and independent education of cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Teaching and mentoring more junior Applied Data Scientists
- Must have experience with Media or Marketing Mix Modeling
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, engineering, business, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- 6+ years of work or post-graduate experience in a field of analytical science
- Proven success in using data insights and analytics to inform audiences, markets, and targeting to optimize campaign performance and drive acquisition
- Experience in designing and analyzing in-market survey research
- Understanding of online and offline media planning to define and rationalize the best channel mix to maximize the reach and impact against different audiences
- Shown affinity for and experience working with large or messy data sets
- Proficiency with statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.) and proven ability to work pragmatically with statistical concepts
- Proficiency with presentation or data visualization software, such as Microsoft PPT, Tableau, Shiny, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience framing and communicating analytical results to stakeholders at a variety of levels
- SQL experience
- Experience working in a consulting or advisory function
- Experience mentoring more junior members of a team
- Practical understanding of and experience with predictive analytics, machine learning, and/or causal inference
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.) Competencies
- Experience in designing and analyzing in-market survey research
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review.
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- Salary: $124,000 (a cost of living adjustment may be added for qualifying locations).
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Something looks off?