Database Reliability Engineer, Cloud Operations
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we also offer English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and are bringing new subjects into the Duolingo app, where people can develop their Math and Music skills.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
The Cloud Operations team is responsible for Duolingo's infrastructure, and focuses primarily on making sure our engineering teams have all the tools and support they need to build features our learners love. We are constantly working to improve the utilization of our infrastructure, developing best practices for scalability, automation, maintenance, backup, and cost management, and ensuring those are available to all of engineering through automation, training and documentation.
As a Database Reliability Engineer on the Cloud Operations team you will have direct impact on the work of our entire engineering organization, and will help ensure our platform is always available for our learners.
- Operate and improve our AWS database infrastructure, comprised of technologies such as Aurora MySQL & Postgres, as well as DynamoDB.
- Develop tools to enable self-service and self-management of our database infrastructure, so that other teams can operate full-stack while rapidly building new features.
- Collaborate with engineering teams on their database storage needs and advise them throughout the development lifecycle.
- Write code to track database performance, and build tools and dashboards to provide actionable insight into that data.
- Participate in our on-call rotation and collaborate with the rest of the Cloud Operations team to triage and resolve production issues.
- Proven expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- Technical experience in distributed systems, particularly databases, but also caching, inter-service communication, networking, and cloud services.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Have been working in data storage, core infrastructure, or platform teams for 5+ years.
- Professional experience using Python or Java.
- Operated at least one database system at scale.
- Deployed server software on Linux. You’ve debugged its problems, and analyzed and optimized its performance.
- Are familiar with configuration management tools like Ansible, Puppet, or Terraform.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Extensive experience in fast-growing, consumer-facing, data-driven startups, ideally mobile app based.
- Experience managing large infrastructure on AWS or Google Cloud.
- Extensive experience with DynamoDB.
We invest in and support our Duos! This role is eligible for a robust compensation package of base salary, equity, and Duolingo’s world-class benefits. The starting base salary range for this role is, $131,400 - $274,600. Actual salary may vary based on level, work experience, performance, and other factors evaluated during the hiring process.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.