Data Scientist, Intern Economist (PhD)
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we also offer English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and are bringing new subjects into the Duolingo app, where people can develop their Math and Music skills.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As a Data Science PhD intern, you will work closely with product and engineering teams to become a subject-matter expert in user dynamics at Duolingo. Specifically, you will focus on detecting, explaining and actioning against behavioral shifts within our complex, fast-changing business using massive datasets. Your superpower is the ability to apply cutting-edge analytical methods to translate business questions into statistical and econometric models that can inform data-driven decisions.
More information on our University Programs can be found at university.duolingo.com
What you’ll do...
- Derive insights from data to influence product roadmaps and drive business results
- Apply advanced analytical methods, structural approaches, causal inference, and/or machine learning to model user behavior, and collaborate with product and engineering teams to develop solutions
- Evaluate product experiments to create and improve user experiences
- Communicate and present findings and recommendations to senior management
- Help preserve our culture of fact-based decision making as we scale
What we’re looking for…
- Strong understanding of consumer digital products and an interest in applying advanced analytics and economics to business outcomes
- Pursuing a PhD degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Economics, Finance, Statistics, Computer Science, Computational Social Science) in at least the third year of PhD program (ideally planning to graduate in Spring/Summer 2025).
- Previous experience analyzing large datasets and communicating results to technical and non-technical senior-level audiences
- Skilled in SQL, R or Python, and/or statistical methods to analyze behavioral data
- Able to relocate to Pittsburgh or NYC for the internship
- Experience with "big data" and cloud computing technologies like Redshift, Hadoop, Hive, BigQuery
- Experience articulating business questions and using available data to find answers that translate into product recommendations
- Self-starter, with a desire both to learn new techniques and guide others
- Previous experience/internships in applied business settings
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches and breakfast
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.