Senior Marketing Manager, China, Duolingo English Test
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and even Math.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
The Duolingo English Test is an alternative to traditional high-stakes testing — through a Duolingo-style experience: convenient, fast, and affordable. Students interested in studying abroad can certify their English with the Duolingo English Test in place of other standardized tests like the TOEFL and IELTS. We are now accepted by 4,500+ higher education institutions worldwide. Using AI and remote proctoring, we enable students to take the test online, on-demand, anywhere in the world. If you love making a difference in education through technology, this is the place for you.
We are looking for a creative and energetic marketer with solid experience developing and implementing marketing campaigns to accelerate the Duolingo English Test growth in China—the world’s biggest source market for international students studying abroad. As a core member of our global organization, the ideal candidate will not only be an outstanding, self-motivated leader, but also a proactive and team-oriented communicator.
- Leverage market insights to develop and implement a marketing plan—including social media, PR, influencers, performance marketing, events, and other channels—to grow brand awareness and Duolingo English Test takers in China.
- Manage agencies or contractors required to generate compelling content and collateral and execute growth campaigns
- Launch integrated marketing campaigns in key seasons to amplify brand awareness and drive growth
- Grow followers and engagement for Duolingo English Test social media accounts
- Drive a market-specific media relations strategy to ensure PR coverage is achieved in long-lead media and that we can jump on short-lead opportunities
- Act as a local spokesperson sourcing and handling speaking opportunities in China for yourself and relevant executives
- Analyze the results of the local marketing efforts and adjust the plan as required
- Develop localized messaging and positioning for updates about the test, supporting resources, and accepting institutions
- 5-8 years of consumer marketing experience, preferably at global consumer technology companies and/or ad agencies
- Experience in conceiving, developing, and overseeing full-funnel marketing ideas throughout their cycle
- Experience in project management, budget planning, and tracking
- Track record of achieving great results with ideas rather than large budgets
- Expert storyteller, with proven writing skills and the creativity to create compelling student-centered narratives
- Building strong HQ relationships and influencing effectively for local market needs
- Cultivate strong cross-functional relationships to collaborate effectively with other teams, driving overall business growth and success
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills, and attention to detail
- Strong grasp of consumer, technology, and cultural trends in China. A strong understanding of motivators for students, especially those who want to study abroad
Exceptional candidates will have...
- Passion for our mission to lower barriers to education with technology
- Previous experience working or studying in an English-speaking environment
- Familiarity with the English testing & study abroad market in China
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to combine data and creativity in ideation and campaign management
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.