Product Designer - Field Software
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Role at a Glance
As the field software product designer, you will be responsible for designing the Gecko Fulcrum platform that powers quality data collection on critical infrastructure. Your work is the first critical step in delivering on the promise of long term asset maintenance and predictive analytics for Gecko’s customers. You will be at the cutting edge of fast, quality, semi-automated data collection for NDT operations. As part of this work, you will collaborate with stakeholders across several teams including engineering and operations to understand design requirements, solicit user feedback, and iterate on designs. Your designs will be extensible, accommodating a wide range of robotic platforms and sensor/ data types. Your work will ultimately make data collection a seamless experience in the field. This is a generalist role including user research, information architecture, prototyping, ideation, workflow/interaction design, and visual design.
What you will do
You will partner closely with engineering and operations teams to build applications for internal users (e.g. our own engineers and field operators) and 3rd party robot operators. You may embed with forward deployed engineering teams to build new data collection workflows in the field and help core software teams build extensible UI/UX that generalizes learnings from the forward-deployed teams. You’ll work at varied product maturities and zoom levels, ranging from lo-fi sketches to ideate major new capabilities, to hi-fi refinement of micro-interactions in existing UIs and conduct user feedback sessions to inform future design iterations. You will travel to customer sites with our operators and understand user workflows in the context of the physical infrastructure sites that Gecko protects.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of UX/Interaction Design experience, preferably in industrial software applications.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating high-quality UX/Interaction design work.
- Experience in designing, and conducting user research and feedback sessions
- Strong portfolio showing ability to use mockups to collect feedback and rapidly iterate on design options and approaches
- Ability and interest to travel approximately 25% to work directly with the teams you’re collaborating with.
- Mastery of some design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe XD, Figma, Photoshop, Keynote, Google slides, pencil & paper) and ability to skillfully learn & wield new ones as needed.
- Skill (and preferably experience) in decomposing particularly complex workflows and concepts into simple and intuitive UX.
- Desire to have a high impact in a fast-moving startup environment as a key contributor to a major new effort
- Excellent communication and relationship-building abilities to inform and communicate design rationale
- Ability to operate flexibly in a variety of modes while moving fast, listening, and adapting.
- BA/MA or equivalent experience.
- Comfort digging into the data with code or other analytic tools to inform your designs
- Comfort with application development and the ability to translate design specifications into code that developers can use.
- Ability to work across team with other designers and create similar cross platform experiences across all company products
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.