Senior Director of FP&A (Remote, US)
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video (https://vimeo.com/267654520) from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars.
Openly is looking for a finance leader who will lead the company’s financial planning and drive strategic financial insights, including on a risk-adjusted basis as we scale into a multi-entity corporate structure accountable to various rating agency and regulatory frameworks.
- Ownership of FP&A process, looking for opportunities to enhance forecasting, operational KPI setting, and budget/spend management.
- Identification of medium- and long-term opportunities for expense efficiency & capital efficiency through leveraging insights from various capital models to be developed internally.
- Beyond just financial modeling, we are looking for someone who will embed themselves with business teams, quickly establishing trust and an understanding of the business, economics, and key drivers.
- Design and implement additional key internal reporting and operational processes, such as competitive financial intelligence and procurement management.
- Lead the migration from Excel-based plan modelling to Netsuite’s EBPCS.
- Drive as-needed financial modeling, providing clear financial insights that help management gauge trade-offs and implications of different strategic alternatives.
- Be a thought leader and partner to the CFO and Head of Reinsurance & Capital Management as the organization expands, spearheading projects as they arise and helping upskill a leading-edge Finance team.
Candidates are required to be analytical, highly effective communicators, and display thoughtful business judgement. The ideal candidate will have a mix of accounting and financial planning background, with a proven track record of employing analysis to influence senior-level decision-making. The candidate should be a self-starter with a strong work ethic who is highly results-oriented, inquisitive, and enjoys problem solving with minimal structure.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting; MBA a plus but not required
- Insurance experience is required
- Experience with financial planning process development and system implementation is required
- Experience with AM Best & Risk Based Capital requirements highly desirable.
- 12+ years of relevant progressive experience; problem solving through statistical analysis or with large data sets is required
- Proven leadership skills (including direct management of a team) and the ability and willingness to coach, develop, and mentor others is required.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills are essential, with prior programming experience a plus (R, Python, etc.)
- Excels in a fast-paced, demanding environment; able to manage multiple tasks and juggle several time-sensitive demands, while adapting to changing priorities
- Able to create and deliver effective presentations to senior leaders with wide-ranging backgrounds.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere in the US” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.
Something looks off?