Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote, US)
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
We're hiring a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to be a part of our team to build the technology infrastructure for Openly's insurance platform. You will play a crucial role in building, testing, and maintaining the infrastructure and the overall technology ecosystem that powers our insurance products and customer experiences.
What You’ll Do
- Build internal tooling to help other engineers and the rest of the company understand and operate our system
- Design and implement security best practices for our team and infrastructure
- Automate repetitive tasks to reduce toil. This includes building and maintaining CI/CD infrastructure, developing CLI and ChatOps tools, and automating manual processes
- Build infrastructure as code using declarative provisioning tools
- Develop high signal-to-noise ratio monitoring and alerting policies and technology to help us meet our SLOs
- Lead incident response and postmortems
- Contribute to important architectural and operational decisions like microservices vs. monoliths, deployment techniques, technologies, policies, etc.
- Backend/Core: Go, Temporal & PostgreSQL
- Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS, Webpack, Nuxt &, Tailwind
- Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O, & Python
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud, specifically Cloud Run, GKE, and CloudSQL, managed with Terraform. We use GitHub for code hosting, DataDog for monitoring and CircleCI for running our CI/CD pipelines.
- Remote work tools: Slack, Zoom, Gather.Town, Donut
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of professional/production experience developing and using infrastructure automation tools and techniques
- Proven track record of creating improvements in business-critical systems around stability, performance, and scalability
- Demonstrated ability to deliver complete systems from start to finish in a reasonable time frame
- Understands the consequences of running software in production and are willing to share your knowledge with the rest of the team
- Ability to explain complex technical challenges to non-technical audiences
- Go experience or willing to learn - *Previous experience developing in Go is not a requirement to apply. Please note that part of the interview process includes completing a code challenge in Go.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere in the US” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.