Actuary (Remote, US)
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
We are seeking a Actuary to lead insurance product forecasting. You will play a critical role in guiding strategic decisions across insurance product, reinsurance, and operations by providing insight into various future growth and profitability outcomes. In addition to thoroughly evaluating our data and performing comprehensive scenario analyses, we will look to you to drive the continuous improvement of the underlying forecasting models to best leverage our rapidly growing data volume using the latest technology & prediction methods. As a member of the Actuarial & Product Analysis team within Insurance Product Research, you will have the support of Actuarial Engineering and Data Science. We are looking for a self-motivated, high-energy individual who thrives in a fast-paced, performance-driven environment.
Our tech stack consists of GitHub, GCP/BigQuery, Python.
- Spearheading our loss and premium forecasting capabilities, revolutionizing our approach to monitor actual outcomes, uncover insights, and translate them into valuable recommendations for product enhancement to help drive success of the organization.
- Collaborate closely with our Actuarial and Prediction Engineering teams, leveraging advanced modeling tools to construct a durable forecasting framework, harnessing the power of cutting-edge technology and data-driven insights to develop a robust system that enables accurate and insightful forecasts.
- Support the refinement of our actuarial analytical framework by contributing to the design of enhancements or exploring the development of fresh methodologies and approaches.
- Design and develop a resilient methodology for projecting catastrophe losses that can adapt and expand in tandem with our growth.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to acquire valuable insights into drivers of our profitability and offer useful feedback based on our comprehensive analyses.
- Mentor, guide, and support junior team members – utilize your experience and expertise to share valuable insights, provide constructive feedback, and help cultivate their skills and growth.
- ACAS/FCAS with 7+ years of actuarial experience
- Significant experience in personal lines insurance or actuarial forecasting.
- Experience working in SQL.
- Demonstrated aptitude for working in Python.
- Ability to operate in ambiguity – identifying/defining complex business problems and developing creative analytical solutions.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong decision-making skills.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere in the US” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.